Ladies, you know what I am talking about. Those unbearable cramps, mood swings, acne, nausea, breast pain, fatigue.. thelist goes on and on.
What are the Common Treatments for PMS?
- Exercising frequently
- Salt restriction before the menstrual period
- Reducing caffeine intake before menstruation
- Limiting the amount of alcohol intake
Pharmaceuticals can often times be overwhelming for your body, good thing mother nature has many cures of her own for you. Herbs are known as adaptogenic, meaning that they communicate with your system and help your body get back into balance. 4 common herbs include:
Chasteberry (Vitex agnus-castus)
In several clinical studies, Chasteberry has been found to reduce specific symptoms associated with PMS. Some include breast pain or tenderness, irritability, depressed mood, anger, and headache.
Maca : Works extremely well at balancing hormones and keeping them under control. The more hormones are balanced, the less PMS you will deal with.
Black cohosh: great for PMS, more specifically the irritability and sleep disturbances sometimes experienced during that time of the month
Lavendar: has been known for centuries for its calming effects and helps with PMS-related anxiety and insomnia.
Marijuana a Treatment for PMS
Similar to herbs the Cannabis can also help to relieve some symptoms associated with PMS. The chemical compounds in cannabis release cannabinoid receptors to map over to the brain’s naturally generated endocannabinoids, easing pain, anxiety, depression and stress – symptoms associated with PMS. Furthermore, Cannabis can help with mood swings. This time it’s not CBD but THC that binds to brain receptors and produces more balanced emotions.
- Blue Dream: A cross of Blueberry and Super Silver Haze, it’s known for its euphoria and cerebral stimulation. But it’s also ideal for those whose periods equal several days of chronic pain, aka for those that feel as if her uterus is trying to escape from her body. This strain will leave you in a happier mood and a uterus happily still inside your body
- Obama Kush: When your PMS is causing cramps, headaches, mood swings, and insomnia, please do yourself a favor and go get some Obama Kush. Known for its magic of making pain disappear and leveling out your mood. You will be left relaxed and with a smile on your face.
- White Widow: is known for its pretty much even ratio of sativa to indica, making it an ideal strain for PMS. If you aren’t looking to use up a sick day at work for your cramps or nausea, White widow will rid you of those while leaving you still alert to go about your day as you naturally would.
- Purple Urkle: If you are one of those people who drowns themselves in Midol, heating pads, and chocolate during PMS nest time try some purple urkle. This strain is known for its immense pain relieving powers. You will notice right away, your pain just seemed to disappear.
- Super Silver Haze: The mixture of of Skunk, Northern Lights, and Haze resulted in this world winning cannabis. Super Silver Haze is great for long lasting energetic and uplifted feeling it will leave you with. It’s perfect for fighting off the stress and depression that accompany your period.